Dec 1, 2015

YOU & ME | Charlie Reunites With his Angels



"Once upon there were three little girls who went to the police academy. Two in Los Angeles. The other in San Francisco. And they were each assigned very hazardous duties. But I took them away from all that. And now they work for me. My name ... is Charlie."

If you recognize that monologue, you were likely a fan of ABC's 'Charlie's Angels' which ran from 1976 - 1981. The original cast included Farrah Fawcett, Kate Jackson & Jaclyn Smith as the angels, David Boyd as Bosley and the voice of John Forsythe as their boss Charlie.  

When I worked at Troll Book Clubs in St. Catharines, I became close with many of the girls who worked in the office. I don't recall how we came up with the nicknames, but it wasn't long before three of my co-workers, Becky Lee, Roxanne Rinaldo and Terry Garner, became known as the Angels. Because I have a penis, I was typecast as Charlie (although I often assumed the role of bumbling Bosley.) 

For several years, the Angels and I socialized regularly, celebrating Christmas and birthdays together. Almost a decade ago, with each of us taking on new jobs in new workplaces, more and more time past between visits. 

Recently, Becky and her fellow Angels had made plans to get together at a fine Italian eatery called Marco's on Nov. 25th. Becky asked if I would like to come along, as a surprise to Roxy & Terry, and I said "yes", which Becky later revealed she was a bit surprised to hear (given the numerous times I have declined or cancelled at the last minute due to pain issues or a lack of funds.)

Roxy was shocked to see me, as was Terry. Both of whom said I still looked the same as years ago...which is partially true, thanks to the hair colour and facial hair colour I use on a regular basis. It certainly isn't from a healthy lifestyle, unless you consider 16 pills a day healthy. 

We pigged out on the all-you-can-eat buffet, reminisced about the past and got up to speed with what we had been up to over the past years. And I kept the girls and even our waitress in stitches as I exercised my new motto... "Be as gay as you wanna be". 

We left Marco's with full bellies and beaming smiles and vowed to get together more frequently. 

Charlie thoroughly enjoyed our outing Angels and I look forward to doing it again soon.