Feb 6, 2016

YOU | Oh Those Stunning Hats

Encore look at David Bailey's many hats which includes: Renown Designer, Diamond Jubilee Winner, Community Events Volunteer, Children's Ambassador, Hubby & of course...Scribbles Pal! 
CLICK PIX FOR LARGER VERSION
For longtime readers of Scribbles, going back as far as our magazine days, the name David Bailey is not new to you. Back in the early 90's, David, a renown interior decorator, was frequently a part of Scribbles Magazines, as we shared some of his decorating tips.

We first met David through his now husband Jim Triemstra. Jim once lived in Niagara and I met him through mutual friends. Cupid's arrow made a direct hit in October 1991, when Jim and David became a couple.  Jim left Niagara to live with David in his beautiful Brantford home and for the first few years they were together, I would visit them regularly (along with my then partner Glenn.)

Although it's been a long time since I've taken David and Jim up on their offer to pay them a visit, we have kept up to date on each others adventures via facebook.

Much has changed over the years.

The couple purchased Sunnyside House in St. George at an auction in 2000. David won an award for his restoration of Sunnyside, a magnificent mansion which he shares with Jim and their adorable little dogs Max, Eddie and Little Brown Olive. 

CLICK AD FOR LARGER VERSION
David and Jim were married on November 11, 2011 by Rev. Brent Hawkes at Banting House in Toronto.

Giving back to his community has become a huge part of David's life over the years. On his website davidabbailey.com  David says "Brantford and Brant County have been very supportive and for that I will always be grateful.For five years, I have served as chair of the annual Applefest here in St. George, ON. This Free community event  attracts over thirty thousand (30,000) for this two day event."

David's dedication to his community has not gone unnoticed. He received the Paul Harris Fellowship Award form the Brantford Rotary Club in 2010. The Rotary’s highest award of achievement.

Bailey received the Len Ellins’ Memorial Award as a “Celebration of Youth” for his work with the Boys and Girls Club of Brantford in 2010 and in 2012 received the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal for his community work and service.

On his website, David describes his designs as "Creatively unique, yet surprisingly affordable".

"Allow me to assist with your decorating project, from residential to commercial, from indoor to outdoor", David says.  "Any living space can be transformed into your own personal Mecca."

For more inof about David and his amazing designs visit his website  davidabbailey.com or his facebook page  https://www.facebook.com/DavidABBaileyInteriors


 

I vaguely remember one time when I was visiting. I had a little photo of my mom's dog Toby in my wallet. It wasn't just a square photo, nope, I had trimmed the pix to be just Toby standing pretty.

CLICK PIX  ABOVE TO READ ARTICLE IN  LARGE VERSION
David and Jim roared when they saw that I was carrying around this uniquely clipped pix. I explained that the reason the photo was cut to the shape of Toby was because I used the photo for Scribbles Magazines.

In  fact, back then I had a file folder filled with reader's heads and other clipped pix which were used  frequently in Scribbles Magazines. Don't forget, there were no computers, no Photoshop. I glued your pix on pieces of paper which would eventually be brought to my local print shop, where I would spend hours photocopying them to become Scribbles Magazines.

Scribbles has changed a lot since those days and so have David and Jim. I'm thrilled to have David and Jim in our ever-growing "family" and it is great to see that the past 23 years have been filled with joy and many accomplishments.
 
Below we feature a "Classic" Scribbles Magazine post, featuring designing tips from David.