Nov 19, 2013

You

Becky with Birthday bulldog outside of Convergent Telecom [building pix courtesy Google Earth]

When our friend Becky Lee pulled into the parking lot at work and saw a huge novelty bulldog wearing a sign proclaiming "Nifty, Nifty, Beckster is 50", little did she know that this was to be only the first big surprise of the day.

When she walked into the office, she found her desk was surrounded by shiny balloons, colourful streamers, gifts and beautiful bouquets of flowers. "WOW! Wasn't this nice of my colleagues to do", Becky must have thought, as she was greeted with birthday wishes.

Becky at her desk surrounded by birthday paraphernalia, Inset: Becky & I, Top Right: Lisa & Judy taking pix, Bottom Right: Bulldog outside of office
Becky was even more shocked when she rounded the corner and discovered the rest of the office was also decorated. "We're having a staff party at lunch" said manager Janet Miller, who -as the infamous "Queen of Orchestration"- had arranged the event.

Becky would later admit she thought there was an awful lot of food for the number of people on staff, however there was good reason for that. For it was not only the staff of Convergent Telecom who would be enjoying the food and refreshments come lunchtime, but many of Becky's friends, family and past workmates.

But a few of the "guests", L to R:  Janet (party coordinator) Robin, Rolland, Shannon, Gail, Susan, Lisa, Tyson
"JJ" (as in Janet, not my new kitten...LOL) had contacted everyone earlier in the week telling them of the hush hush party they would be having on Fri. Nov. 15, just a few days prior to Becky's actual 50th birthday.

I was thrilled to be invited and be a part of the big surprise. It was great to see the everyone, as I had once worked with many of these fabulous people and as a close friend of Becky's, I of course also know and adore her family.

Cole Whtye -photo from facebook
I barely recognized Becky's son Tyson, who was a mere child when I first met him and is now 24 years old and sporting a chinstrap beard. Becky's sister Susan and her friend Gail were on hand and we shared our displeasure about some recent plot twists on our favourite soap the Y&R.

Janet's daughter Robin Whyte, who now resides in New Brunswick with her husband Tim and their two young boys, was in town and attended the party. This meant I finally had a chance to meet her adorable son Cole, the little guy we featured in Scribbles "Father of the Year" video this Spring and who took 2nd place in our recent Halloween Costume Contest, wearing his Toronto Maple Leafs gear and sporting a faux black eye.

It was nice to say hello to my former boss Rolland Bissell and to get caught up with recently retired Judy Hummell. I enjoyed a chat with Lianne, who I discovered, like I, lives in Welland and kittens were the hot topic between Tanya and I.

Janet, your secret party was a hit and you really surprised Becky, as I'm certain she had no idea what was in store for her on this special day.

Although the party was in recognition of Becky turning the Big 5-0, the honour was indeed mine. It was so great to see everyone again and as Rollie would say "I luv u man".

Front of card I made Becky (I call her Grace -from Will & Grace- & I'm Jack, hence the pix here)