Jul 5, 2017

ME & YOU | Visiting Happy Rolph's Brings Back a Frightening Memory

POSING AT HAPPY ROLPH'S, IT'S MY SISTER KIM & HER LITTLE DOG TOO! - PHOTO:SCRIBBLES
It felt a lot like a trip down memory lane, when I joined my sister Kim and her little dog Scout, for a casual stroll at Happy Rolph's. The petting zoo and bird sanctuary is officially listed as being in Niagara-on-the-Lake, although it is actually closest to St. Catharines (a short distance from Lock 1 of the Welland Canal)

Going back well over a decade ago, I once worked at a publishing company, located right across the street from Happy Rolph's. When the weather was nice, I would often walk through Happy Rolph's during my lunch break. It was a great way to escape the monotony of the office and chill for a half hour before returning to work.

PHOTO FROM INTERNET
It was very relaxing....well, most of the time. On one occasion, I was walking near the ponds, nibbling a sandwich in one hand, while holding my cellphone in the other, complaining to a friend about the hectic day I was having at work.

All of a sudden a group of 5-6 very large white geese came towards me. Their chests were puffed out and they stretched their necks as they honked louder and louder, the closer they got. Fearing they were going to attack, I threw my barely eaten sandwich to the ground and ran. The geese devoured my lunch and in my frantic effort to escape, I had hung up the phone.

When I called my friend back, she said she had told her boss "I think Kenny has just been killed by birds". She laughed when I explained what had actually happened, I however reserved chuckling about it until I was safely back at work.

VIDEO
Here's a brief look at our visit on July 3rd (when all the birds were on their best behaviour)...