Mar 29, 2017

RECIPE | Nothing Beats Homemade Soup...Especially My Mom's!

AND HERE IT IS!
My mom's recipe for making homemade soup...

METHOD:

- Simmer the strained stock* slowly for about half an hour. 
-Add the following vegetables chopped carrots, one small potato, celery and one small onion (optional).
-Add chopped roast beef pieces (or other meat, or no meat if you prefer)
-Season stock with Mrs. Dash, seasoning salt and ground pepper. 
-Simmer this mixture slowly for about an hour, stirring often. 
-Add pasta about an hour before the recipe is finished, stirring often. 
-Add tomatoes juice, or V8 juice and simmer for another hour, stirring often. 
-Be careful not to add too much pasta, as this will make soup too thick.


* KEN ADDS THIS INFO.....HOW TO MAKE SOUP STOCK:

There are various methods of creating a fantastic soup stock. You could use the carcass and bones from chicken, turkey or beef. You could also buy "soup bones" from many grocery stores. 

The longer you can let the base simmer, the better it will be. I add celery, carrots and seasoning salt to the water and bones, put in a crock pot and let simmer on low for 4-6 hours. 

Then I strain the liquid into another large pot. If there is meat on the bones and/or carcass, I pick it off to add to my soup (or sometimes I have already cubed up small pieces of chicken, turkey or beef prior to starting the soup base, and I add this to my soup around same time as pasta.) 

As the carrots and celery used to make your soup base will have been simmered away to mush, I always toss these out.  You can add fresh veggies to the completed base as outlined in my mom's recipe. 

You can also use pre-packaged soup stock from your grocers or use just carrots, celery, onion and other favourites if you want a soup that has no meat in it at all.  (Season to taste and let simmer as long as possible before straining and adding other ingredients.)