Jul 14, 2016

SUN-SATIONAL FLASHBACK | 'Recipee's' Predates Scribbles

We've told the story of how Scribbles began way back in 1979...but did you know that 5 years earlier in 1974 -at age 14 - I created a magazine for my Grandma. I called it 'Recipees' (deliberately misspelled, the extra "e" was for excitement)

Every month or two I would mail a new edition to Grandma. Each issue contained recipes copied from other magazines like Family Circle and Women's Day.

What makes Recipees so memorable to me are the ads. I was trying to be like a legit magazine, so I drew my versions of the ads that were featured in real recipe magazines.

With that in mind, I present to you a collection of hand drawn ads from Recipees magazine, 1974...

I cheated a bit on some of these, with tracing, others are hand drawn based upon the real ads.


In the forest fire ad below I see a promo box for a contest. WOW! Even back then we had contests!


Here's a page with a recipe on it. They were copied from other magazines. 





I believe the ad below is supposed to read "Tired of SCRAPING a dirty oven" not SCAPING it as is written.