Feb 18, 2015

| YOU | Never Judge a Book by it's Cover

PHOTOS COURTESY: DARIN SHERK'S FACEBOOK PAGE  |  HANNA BARBERA  |  SCRIBBLES.CO  
It was a great surprise to receive a facebook friend request from my pal Darin Sherk recently, because it brought back so many fond memories of when we hung out and worked at Club Rendevouz.

We had actually met many years earlier when we attended the same high school together and I had fears he would beat me up. You can imagine my surprise when years later I discovered Darin Gayman was one of the owners of Niagara's new GLBT bar, Club Rendevouz.

Turns out that maybe the good-looking bad boy wasn't so "bad" after all,,,over the years we shared many laughs and experiences.

YABBA DABBA EWW. BARNEY & FRED EXIT STAGE RIGHT
One particular incident always comes to mind when I think of Darin. It was the time he and I were teamed up to perform a number for the Mr. Gay Farewell Show.  We were going to open the show as Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble, we had their bizarre clothes and all.

When we asked what we were to be doing up there our dear friend Mr Gay Dwayne told us "Just have fun with it...lip sync and dance around to the Flintstones theme song that will be playing in the background",

It was a huge disaster..Darin had never performed on stage before,  .. and that usually brief familiar TV show jingle seemed to go on forever as I danced around a motionless Darin, right down to the "we'll have a gay old time", before we both bolted off stage to the change room to try and grasp what had just happened and make it go away with a few good stiff drinks.  Ahhhh. Good times.  LOL!

Darin tells Scribbles he's "Happily married and living in  Whitehorse in the Yukon Territory with Gerald and I were very blessed to have adopted a baby boy. He will be 1 year old this month on the 24th. His name is Xander James Richard Sherk."

What blessings indeed and it couldn't be happening to nicer people.

But despite his new roles, Darin will always be my unpredictable Bedrock pal Fred Flintstone and I'll always be his nervous little neighbour Barney Rubble.

"Yabba Dabba Doo!!"