Oct 29, 2014

YOU | There's No Business Like 'Snow' Business



For our newbies, I will remind our Scribbles pals that my birthday falls on the same day at my dear friend Chris Snow [still aka Darryl Bell in some corners of the planet, I'm sure.]

Back in the days when I bartended at Chrissy's bar The New Vouz, it was not unusual for me to celebrate my birthday at the club with my friends. Chrissy sometimes wanted to keep low key on it also being his birthday, so...although I often may have wanted to jump off my bartool and tell all my birthday well-wishers that it was also the club's owner, their pal Chris Snow's birthday tonight, I resisted and kept quiet.

Given that memory, I was somewhat surprised to hear that happy couple Sandi and Carrie McPaddy of St Catharines were hosting a 50th birthday party for Chris Snow, now a resident in Toronto. I guess even Chris had to figure a landmark like 50 isn't going to go unnoticed, not when you have as many great friends as he does, all eager to celebrate with him.

As I recall from my 50th birthday, it started out as me being a good sport and appreciating the fact my friends wanted to take me out for a few drinks and a bite to eat at this local bar. It ended up being one of the most spontaneous, funny and unexpected, thrills of my life.

Chris's birthday bash was on Oct. 18 and if that date sounds familiar to you, it may be because it was the same night as Bylynnda's Halloween 4 Lyme Dance & Fundraiser in Allanburg.  As you saw a week or so ago in our Scribbles Video of the event,  I was there to take it all in and had a blast.

This no doubt was because I had already been warming up in the celebration department at Chris Snow's Birthday party. There was a huge card for guests to sign and a large flowerful cake for your sweet-tooth.

Some partied in the house, while the wild child's rocked and definitely rolled, in the garage. I kinda went from area to area, getting up to speed with Chrissy, Nick and many others, having such a great time and wishing I could spend the whole night partying with them, but still pumped about the Halloween party that was next on the docket for the evening. 

In an ironic twist, my new downstairs neighbour Deanna Gilligan was also at Chris's party. Turns out she's related to Carrie and Sandi.

Chrissy my old friend, welcome to your 50's. It's all downhill from here on in....LOL!  It was so nice to see you and Nick.

Thank you to Sandi and Carrie for inviting me. You have a nice home and a cute dog that reminds me so much of my Timmi.  Maybe I'll see you around my place visiting Deanna sometime.  It could happen because as I discover every day, the song is right..... it really is a small world after all.