Mar 6, 2017

CLASSIC COUNTDOWN |

Our Top Ten Photos of All Time*

*These were the top ten photos in our 2012 special feature 'Sixty Six Perfect Pix'. I can think of several great photos that have been taken since this countdown, but the following ten still make me smile and I'm betting they'll do the same for you.

The descriptions that accompany each pix are what were written when these first appeared in our countdown, 5 years ago. 

10- PAPINEAU PERFECTION

The Adirondack chairs are waiting for you on the deck of the Convery family's cottage in Papineau Lake, ON. This photo was taken a few Summer's ago when Timmi and I joined Becky and pals for a "girls weekend" (we fit in perfectly).

The cozy getaway didn't see many guests this past Summer as a modern new cottage was being built, but we're certain that will all change next year when the weather is warm and the chairs are dusted off, waiting for our return.


 9 - SITTING PRETTY

Looking oh so cute in her sunglasses, shaded from the sun by her colourful beach umbrella, little Tatum seems to have found a true friend in Bob, who looks quite interested in what she may have in her hand. This classic pix goes back several years and sadly, Bob passed on several years ago, but this magical moment is preserved forever.


 8 - DOWN ON THE FARM

There's just so much this going on this photo, it really does speak for itself. This oldie was taken in the mid 60's on the Farquharson's farm, as everyone admires the duckling that cousin Doug is holding. And in case there was any doubt, yes, that bespeckled lad wearing the bowtie, looking on in awe is indeed me.  OY VAY!


 7 - WHAT'S COOKIN' GOOD LOOKIN'?

OK, this photo officially takes the prize as being the oldest in our entire collection of 66 pix. It's little Joanie Simpson playing with her pots and pans creating an imaginery meal. Some things don't change much. These days my mom Joan Storie can still often be found rattling her pots and pans. Fortunately for us, the food she prepares is no longer make belief and very VERY delicious.  Yes, I will have a second helping please.

 6 - COME DINE ON ME

I've heard of inviting friends over for a bite, but this photo from 1979 takes the cake. What on earth would possess me to lay on the table with a stock of celery in my mouth while my pals prepare to dig in? Well, the answer to that question will remain up in smoke, but I think the next time I'll have potato chips on hand for our munchies...LOL!


 5 -I'VE GOT A "SINK-ING" FEELING

OK, so my pun is pretty lame, but luckily this classic photo isn't. Here we have our pal Megan Fox enjoying a bath in her grandparents kitchen sink. This one always makes me laugh out loud.  Now 23 years old, we assume Megan no longer uses a sink to keep clean, but maybe we should ask her boyfriend Andy just to make sure. Hahaha.


 4 - IT'S DEEPER THAN IT LOOKED

Cousin Jeanne hangs on tight to her friend Marty Wilson as they trudge through the Ottawa Valley snow, in this frigid funny photo from days gone by. While Jeanne and Marty's daughters Megan and Jessica look on , I stood behind the camera, also knee-deep in the white stuff and laughing so wildly I could barely take this pix.


 3 - THE LAST MAN STANDING

I didn't need recreational or prescription drugs to make me smile on the memorable day in 2001 that this photo was taken. As seen on Scribbles several times now, here I am frolicking in the white sands along the shore of Eleuthera Island in the Bahamas.  The once-in-a-lifetime getaway was thanks to my friend Jeff Stewart, who invited me along to the remote location for a week of rest and relaxation.

I will never forget the amazing view we had. One afternoon I walked alone for several hours along the shore. It was as if  I was the last man on earth, surrounded by blue sky, soft warm sand and ocean for as far as the eye could see. I looked like a well-done lobster when I eventually returned to Jeff at our condo, but I didn't mind as I had experienced the most spiritual moment of my lifetime.


 2 - SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION

For those of you who aren't familiar with the pix above, let me set the scene for you. After a filling meal, everyone gathered in my parents living room for a family photo. As we fused over who should stand where, my mom moved my stepdad slightly to the left. Still digesting his dinner, dad farted when mom touched his sides. The results....this rib-splitting photo of our reactions. You just couldn't recreate this moment if you tried. Luckily for us, this photo captured it forever.


 1 - KOOKY CUB

During a recent with my psychotherapist, he asked me to recall times when I felt truly happy. Feeling pretty down at the time, I was hard-pressed to come up with many. Looking at the photo above, I think I've found one. I believe I would have been about 10 years old when this pix of me in my Cub Scout uniform was taken. I'm proudly giving the official Cub salute and boy was I thrilled.

Being in Cubs was far more fun than I would have expected, although Housekeeping was probably the only badge I ever earned. LOL! 


And there you have it....the top ten of our 66 PERFECT PIX. To revisit the rest of the collection, click here.